Monday, January 24, 2011

Numero Dos



Blog Prompt #3
“Photography deals exquisitely with appearances, but nothing is what it appears to be.”
~Duane Michals
            Regarding the quote above I completely agree that pictures can sometimes not appear what they seem to be. Photography is a tricky thing if you think about it. A picture can mean one thing to you and then a completely different thing to the person standing next to you. It depends on who you are, your morals your ideals your history and because not a single one of us are the same the possibilities are endless in regards to the meaning of a photograph.
            That is why I fell in love with photography in the first place being able to tell a story through my pictures rather than my words. A picture can mean a thousand different words to a thousand different people and I love that about photography.

Blog Prompt #4
“If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.” ~Lewis Hine.
I have never heard/seen this quote before and it is one I will never forget. My experience with photography is more of a relationship that anything else. It is my way of expressing myself through pictures rather than words because you will soon learn through these blogs that words are not my forte. I use my photos to tell a story, a story about my life or someone else’s. Now some people may not agree and think a picture is worth a thousand words and I also believe that to be true but sometimes I just cant seem to find the words. For example there is a picture of my nanny who is in essence my second mother on her wedding day with almost sepia toned coloring taken immediately following the “I do”. Every time I see the photo it leaves me speechless I have no words to describe that kind of joy and happiness I feel every time I see it let alone what she feels when looking at the photo herself. While of course there are situations like those there are plenty of pictures that require a back-story or a history if you will in order to project what you wanted the picture to say.
            When reading novels sometimes a picture can’t describe the way something feels or how something tastes and the use of words and details in the telling of stories either in a book or around a campfire is one instance when using words is much more useful than a simple picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment